Chock Full of Inner Demons

Friday, April 21, 2006

Why a Prequel?

My friend e-mailed me the news this morning that Star Trek 11 is going to be out by 2008, and it will be directed by J.J. Abrahms. Of course this news excites me because I have always been a fan of Trek, and it is fantastic that Abrahms current film, Mission: Impossible 3 is getting some rave reviews, which means this movie might get made right.

The only angle I am against is that this is going to be a prequel film that will exhibit the first meeeting between Kirk and Spock. On a whole, I just do not think that prequels work. Enterprise was a show that only a few wanted to see, and the latest bunch of anticipated Star Wars films definitely did not break the prequel curse. As much as I like Kirk and Spock, how many people actually want to see new actors portray these characters. If Shatner and Nimoy make any appearance in the film, it may relieve some of the uneasiness, but the prequel idea is still not my most favored approach. After all, what's past is prologue.


Now Playing Star Trek: Generations by Dennis McCarthy

1 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger 1-18-08 said...

This is great news! A dream come true! First M:I-3, now Star Trek?! Maybe he'll do Superman or Batman next...he did write the first draft of Superman Returns, after all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home