Chock Full of Inner Demons

Friday, March 24, 2006

Furthering the Tribute to Wicker Park

One of my friends recently praised and reviewed the film Wicker Park on his blog. I was really happy to see that because it was a film that I was raving about for a while after I saw it on DVD nearly a year ago. When the movie was coming to theaters, I remember bad-mouthing it because it was rated pg-13. I wasn't upset at the rating directly, but I was upset at New Line's marketing department for advertising this as an erotic, 'Basic Instinct' type thriller when its rating indicated otherwise.
After about a year into its video release, I finally rented this film that I had so purposefully scorned in theaters (I often do this. I just saw D.E.B.S which was awful). What can I say about Wicker Park but that I absolutely adored it. It is one of my favorite films of the last five years. It took a very non-tradtional approach to romance by challenging the effect that love/romance has on the people surrounding us.
One of the only stumbling blocks to this film is that it takes a little bit of time to develop its direction. I remember recommending it to one friend who lost patience and shut it off after only half an hour. I begged him to try it again because the last hour of the film and its spectacular conclusion were well worth the struggling start.



Now Playing -The Four Feathers by James Horner

2 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger 1-18-08 said...

Yes, I was truly blown away by this movie. It is thrilling and moving! While watching it on DVD, I knew immediately that I would buy it, and a few weeks later I did. This movie deserved a bigger audience. I'm glad to see another film buff appreciate it!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm going to order this now.
Great review. See you on Sutter St.
mas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home