Chock Full of Inner Demons

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Half Dome Dilemma


Last Monday I did the unthinkable. After three aborted attempts, I finally climbed up the cables to reach the summit of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. I know, to many people this feat is not a very big deal. Some of my friends will actually travel thousands of miles in order to climb something like Mt. Kilimanjaro with one hand tied behind their backs. But for this little crawler to reach the summit of Half Dome via the cables was a monumental feat. This conquest is perhaps one of my greatest psychological triumphs over myself. I have many, many fears, but I am hardly ever able to test myself against these fears as directly as I was able to on this day. I didn't necessarily conquer my fear of heights per say, but I did manage to alleviate those fears long enough to accomplish something that had been bothering me for a very long time. This triumph was unequivocal.


Now Playing the High Fidelity soundtrack

2 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the climb and on getting the photo in CFOID! Great post...
mas

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, any advice for how to overcome the fear of heigths on this hike? I have a half dome hike coming up very soon and would love some advice for handling this monumental climb. I have also been up to the half dome switchbacks and had to abort the climb b/c of a fear of heights. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. (djf15@hotmail.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home