Chock Full of Inner Demons

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Life in Mono


In 1998, I became hooked on a song I that I had heard at the conclusion of the Great Expectations trailer. I didn't know what the song was called and unfortunately the soundtrack wasn't due for a release for many months ahead so I wasn't able to check the album. All I knew was that the melody was repeating teasingly in my head and it seemed that their was very little that I could do. One solution thait came to me was that I should call Atlantic Records who was producing the album and ask them. Well they wouldn't tell me anything about it either leaving me to stew anxiously until its January release.

The song itself was really catchy. It had this bell-sounding thematic beat mixed behind a female voice singing dhu... dhu, dhu, dhu....dhu, dhu in a repeating pattern. I was hooked immediately and I wanted more. This small longing I had for the song is very much like the story of Great Expectations itself, in which a boy falls for a girl who will only tease him and make him miserable. I was lucky with my song because the studio finally released this melody after several months, however in the story of Great Expectations the anxious waiting never ceased, the girl just teases the boy for years leaving both of them rather unhappy.


Now Playing Life in Mono by Mono on the Great Expectations album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home